Andrew's Journey to Release an app

I’m game if you’re game math-lover that won’t revel his name, but wants me to keep him accountable :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Day 55 - Finished Custom TabViews

Saturday, June 11, 2022

Happy to report that I finished this design lesson! I studied iOS development for about hour and a half today. I find that I will often go down little rabbit holes/ chase down things that bother me. This takes away from the actual time I spend on the lessons, which explains why I’ve spent two Saturdays on the same long 30-minute video.

I’m always impressed by Chris’s tutorials/ how he makes everything look effortless. I can’t wait to get to his level one day.

See my notes from the lesson here: GitHub - agholson/Custom-SwiftUI-TabViews

1 Like

Congratulations on finishing the design course!

Wish I had finished the design course :sweat_smile: I only finished another lesson. it’s slow-going for me :man_facepalming:t2:

Welcome back Andrew! And congrats on your side job developing iPhone apps, that’s absolutely amazing!

You’re making consistent progress, it’s all that matters! Keep it up :smiley:

1 Like

Day 56 - M2L3 Cards

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

After a hiatus of a few weeks, I’m back at it once again. This time with an amazing lesson on how to create cards in the design course. Cards are one of my favorite design elements, so I’m thrilled that Chris teaches how to make these. Instead, of making the Disney+/ Rajan movie poster, I ended up photo-shopping my pet into a scene, and using him in the card!! Made it much more personal :slight_smile:

Coded/ photo-shopped for an hour and fifteen minutes today.

Day 57 - M2L3 Cards

Saturday, July 17, 2022

Finished the design course’s module two, lesson three on cards :slight_smile: cards are one of my favorite elements in iPhone apps, so was happy to learn about them.

Day 58, Grids

Sunday, July 18, 2022

Finished the Grids video course. Grids are a little strange to me, but I could see using them, if someone really needs a tabular view.

Day 59, Horizontal Lists

Tuesday, July 27, 2022

Finished the horizontal lists lesson in the design course. Interesting to see the two very different styles for HorizontalLists. I much prefer the first style Chris review with the little bubbles at the bottom (first photo in my repo).

Day 60, Forms

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Today, I finished the Design course Module 2, Lesson 7, on Forms. Interesting to see Headers and Footers as part of different form sections. See here for the full code: https://github.com/agholson/Forms-in-SwiftUI

Day 61 - Figma Design

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Spent an hour today going over Essential Design Features module 3, lesson 3 of the design course :slight_smile:

Day 62 - Figma + Essential Design Finished

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Happy to complete the essential design elements video! One of the biggest things I learned was how to use a UI Kit to save time, when designing. A UI Kit already has the iOS Figma components created, so you can use the correct style from the outset.

Day 63 - Figma Preview + Collaboration

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Day 64 - Module 4 iOS Design Guidelines

Thursday, August 25, 2022

I love reviewing the principles for good iOS design how Apple emphasizes intuitiveness, and function-driven apps. Appreciate all of the design examples shown in this module as well as learning about the app architecture.

Day 65 - Nav Bar Essentials

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Completed the module 4, lesson 3 on navigation bars in the Design Course. Started the interface design essentials.

Day 66 - Completed Module 4: iOS Design Guidelines

Sunday, August 28., 2022

Today, I completed two of the design lessons. There are eight interface essentials:

See more at my repo: https://github.com/agholson/iOS-Design-Guidelines

Day 67 - Completed Design M5:1-2

Monday, August 29, 2022

I loved the design inspirations lesson! Jycee showed an effective system to keep track of design inspirations. On dribbble.com, you can search for designs, then save them as parts of collections. From there, Jycee showed that you can download some of the images directly to your Figma on a page dedicated for your inspiration.

In the second lesson, I also learned about User Personas. I like how Jycee translated the challenges the user might face into specific targeted design choices, which will solve them later.

Day 68 - Completed M5:3 User Journeys

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Today, I completed the User Journeys tutorial. These are like flow diagrams that specifically map out the screens/ descriptions of the screens your user might take. They are higher-level than actual wireframes/ designs.

Day 69 - Completed M5:4 - Wireframes

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Today, I learned about wireframes. From my own projects, it seems I’ve jumped too soon into the design phase! I now understand the value of wireframes in order to show the spacing for everything. This gives you a structure for your entire app.

Next, I’ve moved on the Designs, Prototyping, and Exports lesson. I’m grateful that Jycee explains how to create two full designs from a wireframe. This was something I missed in other videos in the design course: step-by-step from-scratch design examples. Most of the examples are reviewed, versus built together like in the rest of the CWC+ lessons. That’s why this design lesson is so helpful! Even something as simple as getting guides onto the layout in Figma, it’s not easy for my beginner self.

Day 70 - Completed M5:5 - Design, Prototyping & Exporting Pt. 1

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Finished the first of a two part series on how to transform a wireframe to a real design. It was challenging at times, but I got a lot of practice creating new designs by not having the original design file.

Day 71 - Swiftful Thinking Concurrency Video 1

Monday, September 12, 2022

I took a break from the Design course to learn more about coding in Swift. In particular, I chose to learn about Concurrency from Swiftful Thinking: How to use Do, Try, Catch, and Throws in Swift | Swift Concurrency #1 - YouTube

Design is tough!

1 Like