Karl - Beginner with a Goal

Hello,

I think I will take you up on the offer to journal my progress, as that provides some incentive to carry on.

I started out as a technologist way back in 1994 and have done both hardware and programming. I am heavily into .Net programming and have done quite a bit of php as well. The last three years I have been working in manufacturing as a leader at various levels - yep, I switched careers.

In manufacturing my technology background has helped me to advance. Now, I am at the point where I have specialized knowledge that I would like to pass on to younger leaders and as I watch them work - they seem to be able to learn anything their phones can teach them. So, I have decided to pursue the use of their phones as my artistic medium to pass on information to them.

This course is great, I purchased the full course load in November but just started out with IOS Foundations. I am happy to report that at the end of module one, I built a functioning slot machine.

Not much left now, may as well give my two weeks notice and start a consultancy (I jest).

Anyway, I will be updating my progress here to try to keep on keeping on. I love your teaching style Chris.

2 Likes

Welcome Karl! Excited to see your progress!

1 Like

I jumped ahead yesterday and did module 3 for github and then circled back for module 2.

I managed to get through parsing JSON and tomorrow I will start build the Recipe App.

I hope everyone else is having as much fun as I am.

1 Like

I finished the Recipe List App and was excited to move onto Module 4. Copied the app and then launched it… the copy wasn’t building… no DataServices.swift file. Weird, I’ll grab it from the original. Woops, no DataServices there either.

Somehow, one complete file failed to save. However fate managed to do that, I have been programming for almost 25 years and have yet to become good about source control.

Well played, universe. I’ll be forming that habit now.

Looking forward to moving on with the modules though.

I just finished modifying the JSON for the Recipe List App in Module Two. It has been a while since I have had to debug errant code, so it is nice that I can count on myself to give me opportunities to debug.

I got all done and the app was building without errors, launching without errors and then crashing.

I first searched for syntax errors and found none. I then went line by line through my changes (FYI extra benefit of source code - I only needed to look at files I changed and they were marked).

Nothing was found, so I had to think through what would not throw a build error but still bad enough to crash.

A nil value would crash and that would happen if you typed the value name wrong in the model… plus the model would display whatever you typed as the correct syntax color.

I capitalized highlights. That was a tough debug.

Hope you are all having a good day.

2 Likes