New Member Introductions

Hey all!

I am an aspiring software engineer and now iOS Developer! My journey with code has been very interesting. I was a music major in college and always wanted to dip into the coding world since I love tech. When I graduated in 2017, I started getting into the world of web development. Fast forward a year and I signed up and even finished a bootcamp. However, I just wasn’t inspired to build sites. Something about iOS was always driving me back. I used to be huge into the jailbreaking community and was in awe of what people could do. I’ve been using Apple products since the iPod Mini and haven’t stopped since. The other day I wanted to find a way I could get back into coding. After talking to some people, searching Google, and browsing YouTube, I stumbled on Chris’ videos. I’ve taken many tutorials and courses, and Chris has seriously one of the best teaching styles I have ever seen. So many people go too fast and don’t repeat things multiple times, but this is the exception. Super happy so far, I just hope I can stick with it.

Recently I have been coding in the MERN stack for Web Dev, so my most comfortable language is JavaScript and I actually like React a lot but have never explored React Native. But now I just want to dive in fully to Swift! I have been reading the docs and watching a ton of videos. My goal is so to get through the 3 Hour iOS Dev course Chris has and then do the same with his Swift course. From there, I hope to be able to build a few apps on my own. Looking forward to getting to know people here!

1 Like

Hey guys,
My name is Maxime, and I’m a student in Austin, TX majoring in Computer Science. I come from Cameroon, in Africa. I play soccer for my university. I want to build a mobile app to help students be closer to athletes and support them more in my school. So here I am. I would love to learn as much as possible from you guys and improve my coding skills. :slight_smile:

Cordially
Maxime

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your story Chase! Can’t wait to see what you build! Feel free to ask questions here anytime!

Maxime,

That’s an awesome goal! Can’t wait to see what you build!

Checkout https://approadmap.io to figure out what you need to learn to build your app idea

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. Can’t wait to show it to you guys too.

Hey guys,
I have another version of Xcode, so most of the buttons showed in the tutorials don’t look the same as mines. I’m kind of lost :sweat_smile:
Maxime

1 Like

My bad I hadn’t picked “storyboard”

1 Like

Hey guys! My name is Rachel and I’m a music teacher with some ideas for apps that I really want to see make it to the world. I’ve been learning Swift through the SoloLearn app, but keep coming back to the Code With Chris YouTube videos to clear up the tricky stuff that I’m just not understanding. Thought I’d come on over and make it official. I’ve nearly finished my SL tutorial track, have a Udemy course lined up that I’ve already purchased, but I think I may just start watching the Chris tutorials to reinforce my other learning. There are several options/playlists available. Any ideas/thoughts on which to go with first? I’m pretty sure I understand 90% of what I’ve gotten through so far, but some reinforcement couldn’t hurt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone. I am a 58 year old woman in London. I want to create a new app and everyone keeps telling me to go to one of the online creator services like Goodbarber, but I hate that idea! I want to create and control my own app myself.

I’ve been around digital media and tech since it was invented. I’ve run successful websites, code in html and also work in digital sound editing so I love the challenge or learning new digital skills and creating new content for the app I have in mind.

Thanks Chris for your generosity in sharing your knowledge and skills.
I look forward to learning more!

1 Like

Wow, such a heartwarming intro, Chase! WELCOME to the family! And thank you for your kind words; testimonies like yours truly keep us going! Glad that Chris’s teaching style has suited you well. Keep us updated with your learning milestones, Chase! You’ll only go upwards from here!

Glad to have you here, Rachel! For sure you’ll be able to deepen your impact even further as an educator through the apps that you will create someday. You seem to already have a great foundation so just keep on progressing and building up on your skills. Cheers!

Cestitamo, MakiCro! Congrats on securing your internship and we hope that you’ll really learn a lot of stuff and have a great experience in that company overall! There’s a ton of online resources out there that should suit your learning priorities. I’m sure those will complement whatever learning experiences you’ll gain from that company. Cheers!

Yay, so glad to have you here, Heather! Yup, I agree with you that creating your own apps gives you a lot of freedom. Cheering for your success, and don’t forget to keep us updated on your learning achievements!

The Swift Programming Language, Swift 5.1 Edition
is a free reference manual from Apple for Swift you can get it in the Apple Books store.

Swift Apprentice, fifth edition
Covers the basics and the advanced stuff in a through manner. It costs $60.00 us.

Hi everyone, this is Lou. I am just joining to get in the swing of things to create apps on apple platforms. Thanks Chris for setting up such an elaborate learning environment and platform. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Hello all!

My name is Jon and I recently stumbled upon these trainings through Youtube. I have a degree in computer science and most of my work experience is around data warehousing. I’ve been looking for ways to expand on that knowledge and also help to bring my own ideas to fruition. I’m excited to start learning!

For those that have been involved with this work, what mac hardware would you suggest going with in 2020 that would be affordable yet have some longevity?

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome, Lou! Great to have you here! Enjoy connecting with other learners and also learning new skills. Cheers!

Welcome as well, Jon! You seem to already have a strong foundation so all the best! Anyway, this is a useful guide https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/best-mac-development-3449754/. Basically, any Mac from 2015 or newer will be good enough to handle Xcode which is the software you’ll need to develop iOS apps. You can buy cheap refurbished ones from eBay. If you’d like to know what Chris uses, you can see them here https://codewithchris.com/mygear/

Cheers!

Hi, I’m Patrick. I’m a long-time Mac user who has used AppleScript, Python and JavaScript to make my life easier on my computer for many years. I’ve dabbled in Swift several times in the last five years but never really had the time to devote to learning it in depth. Got laid off from my business systems analyst job recently, however, and figured why not now? I’m really excited by the possibilities of Swift and particularly SwiftUI.

I just wish there were more Mac-oriented tutorials out there. Everything seems to be geared more towards iOS!

1 Like

Thank you very much Arthur!

1 Like