The Weather App Challenge!

Hey CodeCrew,

We’re trying something new!

What is this?

One of our members requested opportunities (with less guidance) to apply the skills they’ve learned in the Foundations course.

I completely support this idea! The exercise of thinking for yourself and coming up with your own solution is a valuable learning opportunity.

So we’re issuing a set of app requirements and challenging you to build the app!

How do I participate?

Simply create your own topic in the Journal section of our forum and update it with your progress as you build your app.

When your app is completed, record a video to show it in action (We’ll combine the videos together to make a showcase reel) and then upload it here:

What are the dates?

The challenge will run from March 15 to April 14.

What do I win?

Just by participating, you’ll learn a lot and earn a nifty new forum badge:

Weather App Badge

At the end of the challenge, we’ll make our code available (in case you want to compare solutions) and I also want to make a video reel of all your creations!

What if I’m a beginner?

This challenge is meant for students who have already learned the basics since it’s going to require you to draw on prior experience.

If you’re just starting out, I recommend that you check out these resources instead to get up to speed and then you can participate in next month’s app challenge.

Can I do the challenge after the deadline?

Even though this challenge runs from March 15 to April 14, it’ll always be available for you to attempt and earn the badge in the future.

However, if you’re ready to participate now, you’ll get to experience it with a whole group of people also attempting it at the same time!

What are the app requirements?

For this challenge, you are asked to design and build a Weather app. Through this, you will be required to connect to an API to retrieve data, display data from the API, and build interactive views.

Basic Requirements:

The weather app should:

• Connect to a weather API to retrieve weather data, the example uses OpenWeatherAPI https://openweathermap.org/api/one-call-api
  • Show current temperature, current ‘feel like’ temperature, and general weather conditions (ex. ‘Cloudy’) for a specific city/location
  • Be able to switch units from Celsius to Fahrenheit
  • Have an hourly temperature display for the next 12 hours

Bonus specifications:

• Have a list of cities/locations to choose from and switch between
  • Update the weather data based on the location

Further challenges:

• Obtain the user’s default city/location with location data.
  • Show appropriate weather icons based on the temperature and general weather conditions.
  • Have a weekly forecast

A preview of our solution:

• Video
  • We’ll post the code to own solution on April 15!
3 Likes

Hey CodeCrew,

Thank you to everyone who participated in the Weather App Challenge!

I’ve been watching the video submissions of your finished apps and it makes me so happy and proud to see all the great work from our community.

If you’re not done yet or nearly finished, I urge you to continue and finish it off! You’ll still be able to earn the forum badge and it’ll be a great learning experience.

This goes for anyone reading this forum thread in the distant future as well. You can always do this challenge and earn the badge.

Please use this form to get the forum badge for participation (There’s also a box for feedback so we can make the next challenge even better!):

If you don’t want to request a badge but you have feedback to make this even better next time, feel free to just reply to this forum thread!

Here’s our project code:

We’ll get to work on combining all your video submissions into a showcase video.

(If you’re close to finishing your app, please submit your video within the next few days to be included in the showcase video! Submit video using this link: https://weatherapp.videopeel.com/)

Thanks and stay tune for the next app challenge (Slated to begin on May 1st)
Chris

3 Likes