Wildsparrow's journal (monthly challenges)

Thanks a lot man, I just went and download them as well.

1 Like

Another app challenge, another entry in my journal :wink:

This time, I will start with a concept “app”, just showing the progress bar/circle and how to transfer data to Apple HealthKit.
In the next step, I will do the basic layout of my app and describe the functionality. Probably by then, I will post the progress here.
Then, I will merge the gained knowledge of my concept app with the “real” app.

Let’s get this started :mechanical_arm:

3 Likes

So, building the progress circle (or progress rectangle or any other shape) is quite easy.
I want to give my remarks to the linked article/tutorial:

There is no need to write self in front of the progressValue or the progress. This was required in an earlier version of Swift, but not anymore. Without self, I think it’s more intuitiv.
To let the progress start at the top of the circle, you could use .rotationEffect(Angle(degrees: 270)) but instead of 270 you could also specify -90 (again, I think this is more intuitiv).
I added a “Reset” button to play around without stopping and starting the “app”.

ContentView:

import SwiftUI

struct ContentView: View {

@State var progressValue: Float = 0.0

var body: some View {

ZStack {
            // Just another background color
            Color.gray
                .opacity(0.5)
                .edgesIgnoringSafeArea(.all)

VStack  {

// Progress circle
                ProgressBarView(progress: $progressValue)
                .frame(width: 200, height: 200, alignment: .center)
                .padding(30)
                Spacer()

// Button to increment the value
                Button(action: {
                    incrementProgress()
                }, label: {
                    HStack {
                        Image(systemName: "plus.rectangle.fill")
                            .font(.system(size: 25))
                            .foregroundColor(.black)
                        Text("Increment")
                            .font(.title)
                            .foregroundColor(.black)
                    }
                    .padding()
                    .overlay(RoundedRectangle(cornerRadius: 20)
                                .stroke(lineWidth: 2.0)
                                .foregroundColor(.black))
                })

// Button to reset the value
                Button(action: {
                    progressValue = 0.0
                }, label: {
                    HStack {
                        Image(systemName: "scribble.variable")
                            .font(.system(size: 25))
                            .foregroundColor(.black)
                        Text("Reset")
                            .font(.title)
                            .foregroundColor(.black)
                    }
                    .padding()
                    .overlay(RoundedRectangle(cornerRadius: 20)
                                .stroke(lineWidth: 2.0)
                                .foregroundColor(.black))
                })
                .padding()
           Spacer()

}
        }

}

func incrementProgress() {
        let randomValue = Float([0.0500, 0.125, 0.225, 0.343].randomElement()!)
        progressValue += randomValue
    }

}

struct ContentView_Previews: PreviewProvider {
    static var previews: some View {
        ContentView()
    }
}

ProgressBarView:

import SwiftUI

struct ProgressBarView: View {

@Binding var progress: Float

var body: some View {
        ZStack{

//Background circle
            Circle()
                .stroke(/*@START_MENU_TOKEN@*/Color.blue/*@END_MENU_TOKEN@*/, lineWidth: 20)
                .opacity(0.5)

//Progress circle
            Circle()
                .trim(from: 0.0, to: CGFloat(min(progress, 1.0))) // no need to put self.progress anymore, just progress
                .stroke(style: StrokeStyle(lineWidth: 20, lineCap: .round, lineJoin: .round))
                .foregroundColor(.red)
                .opacity(0.7)
                // Start the progress circle at top (circle goes clockwise and if the start of the circle needs to be ajusted, it's also clockwise, so 3x90° = 270° but -90 would also be OK
                .rotationEffect(Angle(degrees: 270)) // order is important: .rotationEffect as firt point right after Circle() will result in an error
                .animation(.easeInOut)

// Text inside the circle
            Text(String(format: "%.0f %%", min(progress, 1.0)*100)) // modifier will round the value, so there is no decimal point
                .font(.largeTitle)
                .bold()

}
    }
}

Formatting is strange. If anyone wants to use the code, just delete the START MENU TOKEN and END MENU TOKEN

Result should look like:

1 Like

So, getting / asking for access to the HealthKit for the water consumption is working. Also for reading the data (which is 0 in the simulator; I hope it’s really 0 and not a bug :wink: ).

Tomorrow, I will try to write the water consumption amount to the healthKit data and display it.

Then, I will try to add more functionality (like consumption of water, coffee, tea, soda, beer, wine … something like that) and finally will create a new app which incorporates all the learnings from this app challenge.

Stay tuned :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Playing around with the settings page …

2 Likes

Just a quick update:

On the pro side:

• I strengthen the skills I learned in the foundation course
  • I struggled with some “simple” tasks but could solve them
  • I force myself to create “reusable” code instead of writing the same code or even similar code two times (or even more) in a project. Easy example: I defined a color for my button. I wrote this code directly to the button in the view. Then I needed the same color somewhere else and I wrote the same code again (copy&paste) in that place. Then I wanted to make a slight change to the color. Argh. So I defined the color as a variable and used that variable all over the place.
  • I also try to structure my code to make it more readable. As an example, I put all the code in the action part of the button. There are some if else clauses, so the whole action part got quite long. I then created functions and just referred to those functions in the action part of the button. Looks way more professional.

On the negative side:

• I’m far behind my schedule :smiley:

Some key learnings:

• Do not name your view “TabView” if you want to use a tabView in this view … it will not work and you will only see an error message with no suggestions how to solve it. I renamed my into TabViewHydration.
  • If you think you’re smart by displaying a numerical keyboard to make sure that the user can only input an integer value … you will find out, that the numerical keyboard will not disappear like the default keyboard when you tap anywhere on your screen. You need to add a button which does UIApplication.shared.sendAction(#selector(UIResponder.resignFirstResponder), to: nil, from: nil, for: nil)

The last part made me think to get the user weight by the HealthKit. I will put this on my nice-to-have-list.

4 Likes

Still not finished. Why?
I was on vacation and there was some increased workload at my regular job before/after that
I still struggle to decide/use the correct variable types to pass data between the views. Looking at tutorials clear things up, but take some time
I still struggle to decide where (in which file) all the calculations should be done in the most efficient way
Although I think that this monthly challenge is great to learn the fundamentals … the app topic itself is kinda boring to me. I was more enthusiastic to display sports data than counting how much water you drink each day. Yeah. Stupid excuse. I know.

So, I have a nice splash screen to ask for access to the HealthKit

And the screen to enter your drinks:

The face on the glass is changing based on the overall progress.
I can control the pickers individually.
I have the calculations done to add the drinks (and limit the overall intake to max 20% juice/soda and 20% of alcoholic beverages)

A picture of the settings tab is shown in above posting.

Still I need to do some work on the buttons and their actions and reset the values every day at midnight.

My plan is to finish the app within next week.

1 Like

Request access to HealthKit: :white_check_mark:
Check for authorization status before showing the main view of the app: :white_check_mark:
Setting a default water consumption goal value: :white_check_mark:
Providing default water consumption goal values to the user: :white_check_mark:
Letting the user calculate the individual water consumption goal value based on his/her age and weight: :white_check_mark:
Update all calculations and views when the water consumption goal is changed: :white_check_mark:
Let the user add water/coffee/… to his/her daily goal: :white_check_mark:
Limit the consumption of juice/soda and beer/wine to each 20% of the daily goal: :white_check_mark:
Update the progress circle: :white_check_mark:
Limit the progress circle to 100%: :white_check_mark:
Update the water glass face in relation to the water consumption: :white_check_mark:
Let the user remove data (i.e. accidentally clicked on the plus button or logged a bottle of water but only drank half of it): :white_check_mark:
Add all the logics to not be able to get to a minus value for the water intake: :white_check_mark:

Still to do:
Write values to the HealthKit
Store data in user defaults
Create video of the working app
Reset all values each day

Ohhhhhhhh :slight_smile: First time writing data to HealthKit and it’s working! :mechanical_arm:
As a beginner, it is a great feeling to extend the existing methods to calculate the amount of milliliters of the water intake (and for my 20% cap of soda and beer), link to the new variable and save the amount to HealthKit.
Probably as a total beginner, I would have written additional methods, but now I could just add some more lines to existing ones.

Aaaaaand, I can not only add the water intake, but also subtract if the user decides to do so. That was someting I feared I would not be able to do so easily.

Need to get some sleep now, will continue tomorrow.

(For me, there are so many small details in my app, I don’t know how to show everything in a short video :smiley: )

The more I work on that challenge, the more I love it!

It´s done :slight_smile:

1 Like