Basketball Training App

Hey guys,

I am starting what I expect to be a very long journey towards creating my own basketball training app. I have though of a unique way to train yourself and stay motivated, that I haven’t found on the App Store or anywhere else as of yet. I feel like I need to share it with the world. What better way than to create an app? :smiley:

I am coming from ZERO experience, and right now it’s just me, my notepad where I jot down my ideas for the app, and my MacBook Pro where I will be learning everything I can from Chris while I expand my idea in the process. I’m going to start off learning all the free stuff I can while I draw out my app in mockup form, then start the paid courses. My goal is not just to learn enough for my app. If one day I could make this a job I believe that would be a dream life for me.

Just creating this topic here to post about my progress as I go along. It’s going to be an amazing feeling to look back at how far I’ve come and how everything panned out if I can reach a final product. I understand it’s going to be difficult, so another point of this journal will be to use it as extra motivation. I won’t let you guys down!

Feel free to provide your input and support, I would also love constructive criticism along the way too.

3 Likes

Aiden,

Welcome to the journey! I can’t wait to see what you end up building!

I just released my very first app, and let me tell you, after tons of work, it’s definitely worth it!

Check out https://approadmap.io to help you figure out what you need to learn to make your idea a reality :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask questions in this group anytime (under the app development category, so other people can see it, and help out if possible)

Best of luck!

1 Like

Hey Aiden, awesome! I love your attitude and i can’t wait to see your progress!

1 Like

Hey Aiden, I hope for your success and growth as a coder. I also hope that your hard work will pay off and reward you with becoming a source of income :slight_smile: My siblings all played basketball and it was always a part of my life.

1 Like

That’s great if any of them still play tell them to keep their eyes out for a cool new app :smiley:

Learning code is not as sophisticated as I thought it would be, but realising how much time I will have to put in to learn it, not an easy task. Much respect for coders. But knowing how hard it is going to be is drawing me in, despite my busy schedule I don’t want to stop learning.

First tutorial series down, on to the next. So far I can compare learning code not with learning a new language, but learning a rule book for a sport you don’t play. It’s easy to read and remember what to use and when to use it, there’s just a lot to learn and take in. At this point I am starting to relate things that I learnt in the youtube tutorial to how I might layout and code my app, exciting stuff.

Coding is just problem solving.

Think of it like a tool box of knowledge. You use the proper tool depending on the problem.

For example you use a hammer to hit a nail, you wouldn’t use a screwdriver. But like coding you can solve things many different ways. A screwdriver would work, but it wouldn’t be as efficient

Finding how a tutorial relates to your app idea and other apps in general can definitely help you figure out how it’s all put together!

Keep at it!!

Update
Just finished module 2 and 3 in the beginner series on youtube. Starting to find myself wanting to learn and wanting to try things out for myself not for the sake of my idea, but just for fun. I’m starting to love doing this like I love basketball. Even though in module 3 there were so many moments where Chris would be writing code I didn’t really understand, I would continue on because I want to get good at this so bad. Failure is not an option even if it takes forever. I am 24 I have plenty of time.

Love to hear the perseverance!!

Remember to take breaks if you don’t understand something or ask in this group for clarification!

Sometimes you just need it explained a different way for it to click!

Also think about WHY you’re writing the code that Chris is saying. It’s not just remembering syntax, but learning why you’re doing things is the key to really understanding it.

Good luck! :+1:

1 Like

Almost finished making my first app, just a few roadblocks I’m trying to get through. Hoping this group will be able to help me, I’m about to post something in the app development group as well. It’s been so much fun making it and getting all these new ideas and implementing them halfway through, but wow the challenges have been a headache to try figure out by myself. Nonetheless, I did not expect to be almost done with an app this quick so that’s a win for me.

1 Like

Congrats!! You’re almost there!

You’ll look back and realize how far you’ve come and how much you’ve learned!