Best study habits for retention?

I just signed up for CWC+ today because I like the way Chris has structured the courses. I have tried to learn programming before many times; this is the first time it seems to stick. I have just started on SwiftUI, iOS Foundations.
I have a few questions for Chris and the moderators:

• What are the study habits which have helped the students who have retained and progressed the most when learning SwiftUI?

• How many hours of daily study have the students who did the best do?

• How long did it take the students who performed best to work on the SwiftUI, iOS Foundations course?

Before, I tried to blow through lessons quickly, but I found that I retained little. I want to spend more time and do more repetition until things finally stick. I want to get things right this time.

Thanks!

Everyone is different. Some people are good learners just using theory and others are visual learners. The key is to take your time so that what you have just covered sinks in. If you binge watch you are likely to overload yourself with information and wont retain some of the earlier details that were covered.

How many hours of daily study have the students who did the best do?

That’s hard to quantify as there are no mechanisms to gauge that.

How long did it take the students who performed best to work on the SwiftUI, iOS Foundations course?

Again there is no way to quantify that given that some can binge watch and absorb a lot of information yet others have to take it a little at a time so they can mull over what was covered or go back over the lesson again just in case they missed something.

Repetition is the key to grasping concepts and the more Apps you create, the easier they become as you remember what goes where and how to link things together.

OK, thank you.

My guess is that for me, the key is repetition and spaced learning, combined with some reading so that the key concepts sink in. I am going to take my time and not attempt to blow through the exercises quickly since that was why things didn’t work well for me in the past.

1 Like