After wrapping up the SwiftUI foundations course I thought it would be fun to look into the monthly challenge to apply what I learned so far.
I did not spend much time on comparing API’s, I picked Alpha Vantage as this was the first decent one that I found, the quota of max 5 requests / min is a bit of a downside but it provides the info we need so for this challenge it works fine.
For the theme of the app I thought it would be fun to use something ‘notepad-like’, so I downloaded a custom font and made the background slightly yellow. For the icons I used simple SF symbols. I also reused the dashed line from the City Sights App
So far the app has the basic functionality:
- add / remove tickers
- refresh the list to update the numbers
- persist the list of stocks on update so that it can be read out again when starting a new app session
- (because for me the percentage changes are way more useful) tap on numbers to switch from absolute to percentage view
Things that I still need to look into
- validation: check for valid ticker, check for duplicates…
- error handling: e.g. API errors / quota limit
- push notifications / alerts