Chris Ching – OMOA Challenge

Hey CodeCrew,

It’s well into June but I still want to challenge myself to finish an app this month!

(I’m referring to the One Month, One App Challenge here)

The theme of the month is Finance and my plan is to build a SwiftUI stock tracking app that fetches quotes from an API. It’ll be challenging for me because I’m not very used to using SwiftUI yet!

(If you’re interested in joining the challenge, you don’t have to do a Finance app. Check out the link above for other ways to participate)

I’ll be using this forum thread to update my progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

So i’m not going to bite off more than I can chew, especially with less than 20 days left. My goal is to build a SwiftUI app that lists a series of stocks and I can refresh the list to grab the latest prices.

If I have enough time, I’ll also let the user add and remove stocks. If I run out of time, I’ll just hardcode the ticker symbols. In future months, I can build upon this base functionality.

So the first thing I need to lock down is which API I’m going to use for retrieving the stock quotes. On RapidAPI, I found several free options (All with 500 quotes/month limit).

Alpha Vantage, Bloomberg, Morningstar and Finnhub all have APIs which allow you to retrieve quotes for a single stock per API call.

Ideally, I’d be able to retrieve multiple quotes with a single API call but none of them seem to have this type of endpoint. If you know of another free Stock API that allows multiple queries per API call, please let me know!

In the end, I decided to use Alpha Vantage because it seems to be the most popular and their API success rate is 100% whereas the others are around 95%.

Ok, let’s get down to coding. I’ll post another update when I’ve made some progress!

(If you want to join in the challenge, you still can! https://codewithchris.com/challenge/)

2 Likes