Compilation failures after Xcode 12 upgrade

Hi Team,

After upgrading to ‘Version 12.0 (12A7209)’ this morning, building my application fails with the following error:

ld: in /Users/.../Pods/Realm/core/librealmcore-ios.a(bptree.o), building for iOS Simulator, but linking in object file built for iOS, for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

A Stackoverflow posting indicates that this may be caused by the Valid Architectures build setting being removed in Xcode 12, but I do not see where this should be removed in my project.

When I try running directly on my device, I get the following failure:

/Users/.../Pods/Target Support Files/Pods-Guidebook/Pods-Guidebook-frameworks.sh: line 141: ARCHS[@]: unbound variable

Command PhaseScriptExecution failed with a nonzero exit code

The project is similar in structure to the Guidebook application.

Some help here would be greatly appreciated as I am currently dead in the water.

If the project uses pods then do a pod update to ensure that it picks up any recent updates to pods.

I always restart my laptop after updating Xcode so that might be something you have to do if you have not already.

Delete the build folder and then try building it again.

Is it UIKit or SwiftUI?

Thanks, Chris.

This is UIKit.

I restarted, the laptop, deleted the build folder, and did a full (re)install and of the Realm pod:

sudo gem install cocoapods
pod repo update
pod install

However, the build still fails:

ld: in /Users/../Pods/Realm/core/librealmcore-ios.a(bptree.o), building for iOS Simulator, but linking in object file built for iOS, for architecture arm64

clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

This seems like it is similar to https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/656509 but that gets me no closer to a resolution.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

You might want to take this up with Mongdb who recently bought Realm. It’s likely that they need to update the Realm SDK to comply with Xcode 12.

Lot’s of issues are coming up with Firebase as well. Works fine on Xcode 11 but there are dozens of warnings/errors when compiling the code under Xcode 12. Not good.

Thanks, Chris.

I decided to download the Xcode 11 installation again and remove Xcode 12 from my machine.

This seems to have gone smoothly and I can now run my application again.

The workaround in the link I posted yesterday seems to need to be carried out on an Xcode 11 environment prior to upgrade, so I hope to be able to do that if I am forced to upgrade again.

With 3rd party libraries in your app you have to be careful about upgrading because if the library isn’t ready for the new version, you’ll have issues

Firebase is a good example of being behind in updating their SDK. Surprises me really.

yep, I’m just starting the Journal App and it says its running but then the Simulator just doesn’t open and it says nw_protocol_get_quic_image_block_invoke dlopen libquic failed

… good times. I need this thing to function so I can update my kid’s flashcards app tomorrow. I hope I don’t need to reinstall 11… crazy upgrades in 12 too, all these new icons really threw me for a loop!

Luckily going back to Xcode 11, for me anyway, really was as simple as deleting 12 from ‘Applications’, rebooting and reinstalling 11, which was a pleasant surprise for once.