Creating for android and iOS

Hey guys! I am new to the page and I would like to say hello! I am sure i will be here quite often with this new adventure my mom has me doing for her haha! I am interested in making an app that will be able to be released on android and apple. We care more about the apple release then the android currently! We do not have a mac computer that is powerful enough to run what we need it to do currently. I have the a computer that is able to do so but it is a windows OS. We wanted to use xcode but we aren’t going to be able to because of the mac product issue and aren’t currently willing to by the third party source to make my windows recognize as a mac. I was wondering if there is another source that we can use outside of xcode! All knowledgeable and informational comments are welcome! eyes and ears are open for feed back!

Hi @Okazi Welcome!

Chris has a couple great videos that may be of help. Here is one for the Windows question:

And this one may help sort our the cross platform issue:

Good luck!
Blessings,
—Mark

1 Like

@FoundationSoftware thanks for that video! I was curious how to handle building an app for Android as well as your guys’ recommendations etc. This video kind of addressed that through all of the nuances between the different languages.

Eventually, I do want an app for Android as well, but that iOS app to be the core focus. For me, in the future, I’ll likely use ReactNative then, because I already know some JavaScript. I’m tempted to learn Katalan and Java even. Although, I hate Java. It was the worst for me in college, and made me hate programming. It was only through Python that I started to branch out to other languages.

@Okazi how did your app journey turn out? I hope you’re still coding out there :slight_smile:

For me, over the last year, I learned how to build my own web apps. Still, it did not meet all my needs, because I wanted to do on-device object code recognition (OCR), or a fancy term for reading text from a photo/ video. This led me to Google’s ML Kit for iOS, which partially did the trick. However, it couldn’t satisfy my full use case, and I couldn’t figure out on my own how to extend their demo app/ improve it (it didn’t help they used UIKit either…). That led me to Chris’s 14-day app challenge, and now I’m going through the iOS foundations and loving it!

Cheers,
Andrew