Diffable Table View Data Source with flexible sections

What’s the main structural difference between a standard diffable table view data source with sections defined in an enum and one where the sections are user-configurable in the app?

Presumably, I have to use a different object to store sections, one that is mutable, but does it need to be any more than a list of categories? Or does it have to reference the items within each category? If so, why?

What’s the main structural difference between a standard diffable table view data source with sections defined in an enum and one where the sections are user-configurable in the app?

Not sure if I understood this one: one where the sections are user-configurable in the app. Are you referring to an editable UITableView wherein you can move rows from one section to another? If so, and if you’re using a diffable data source, then it makes no difference.

Presumably, I have to use a different object to store sections, one that is mutable, but does it need to be any more than a list of categories? Or does it have to reference the items within each category? If so, why?

This really depends on what you wanted to achieve. Can you provide context or more details?