Do you guys ever feel like this?

Hey guys, I’m new here. Hope all of you are having a great weekend. I’m sorry if this is the wrong place to share this. I wanted to ask you all something.

Do you guys ever feel like you are not making much progress? I love Chris’ teaching style; he’s one of the best. He doesn’t rush his explanations and makes everything clear. I understand the concepts when I watch him and answer the quizzes correctly, but when it comes to challenges, I can only recall a couple of things and end up looking at the solution to remember some things.

Is this like a common thing for beginners, or am I messing something up? I’d really appreciate your input and knowledge on this. Thanks very much!

1 Like

Welcome to the community!!
This is the perfect place to ask this (the community category)

Yes this is VERY common!! You’re learning something new! You won’t fully understand it after a single lesson, after practice and repetition, you’ll start to understand concepts and how they’re used.

Think of it like sports practice, you can watch a tutorial for how to hit a baseball / shoot a basketball, but until you start practicing on your own, and after many tries, you start getting better

1 Like

Thank you very much for your awesome reply! But do you think it’s okay for me to do the challenges by peeking into Chris’ challenge solutions?

1 Like

Yes, and that’s okay. When hard stuck, I’d peek at the solution, then come back and try to write it again from scratch. What feels difficult at first gets easier over time. Like Mikaela says just keep practicing, you’re on your way.

Welcome to the community!

1 Like

Yup 2nd what @CalStark says!

Also learn what the name of the concepts are from Chris’ videos, and search those.

Sometimes hearing the same concept but explained differently can help too!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the answers, guys!

What helps me is I print out the lessons that I do in Xcode. I keep a Moleskin notepad near by with the printed lessons and written notes. I’ll have for review either when I am not around xCode or as a reference guide when I get stuck. What I also do is redo lessons over and over until I don’t need to look at my notes anymore.

When you feel more comfortable, you can start tweaking the lessons and add your own creations. And if you run into problems or have questions, always come back here and ask. That is what I did and everyone is very helpful!

1 Like

I do this as a hobby, although in my former life I programmed for a living. Since I don’t do this eight hours a day, I tend to forget things that I haven’t used for a while.

When that happens, the browser search bar comes to the rescue. Say I forgot how to use @Binding. I just type “How to use @Binding in SwiftUI” and a whole bunch of links appear. One or more of them are bound to give me the answer.

Saves a lot of time.

1 Like

I think a lot of us have been there and felt that way. I’ve done many programming lessons (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.) before doing CWC courses and I would feel like I watch a video, code the sample project, succeed, but then forget it all like 2 weeks later.

I think it’s important to make yourself a ‘cheat sheet’ that just briefly goes over what you learned, maybe one or two lines of sample code, that you can skim to quickly catch back up.

For example the 8 day CWC course ‘War Card Game’ project

Image(filename) // displays an image

.foregroundColor(.white) //changes text color to white, can replace .white with other colors

…and so on, I normally save these cheat sheets into Google Docs, but just store them locally or wherever you’ll remember and keep track of them. Cheers!

1 Like