Fail to Build xcworkspace after Cocoapods installation

Dear Community,

I’ve been following the tutorial on “Firebase Authentication Tutorial 2020”. I successfully installed Cocoapods v 1.7.5 (newer ones somehow did not work). After incorporating the Firebase pods to the pod file and starting the xcworkspace file that has been given, I always fail to build.

Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

a more detailed description of the error is attached by the image

Is there any help out there? All my google searches / tests / SO & Github searches have did not solve the problem.

Many thanks and kind regards
Markus

PS
I use Xcode 10.1
MacOS 10.13.6 (this is the max. i can install, higher not supported unfortunately)

Try Cmd + Shift + K
This is to clean the solution

You completely coded the xcproj file before opening the workspace?

Hi Mikaela,
thanks for your support.
Unfortunately that does not help - infact that has been also my first idea and i did this several times.
I also closed xcode, uninstalled cocoapods, tried to build the workspace for a minimal example --> same results.

Regarding your question, no, i’ve setup the UI and integrated to initialization code (also tried without). prior to incorporating cocoapods and buildung the workspace i havn’t coded any Firebase specific expressions.

I just read that recently Firebase requires Xcode 10.3 or higher … since i’ve installed 10.1 this might be the case? Has anyone experience here? Unfortunately my hardware does not support higher releases.

Best
Markus

It’s not unusual for Firebase to continually update their SDK which unfortunately means that earlier implementations of Xcode and Swift versions are likely to be deprecated.

If you are able to source a later version Mac (second hand perhaps) running at least Catalina you will be able to instal Xcode 11.6 and also later versions of Cocoapods.

Unfortunately everyone faces the need to upgrade or get left behind. Nothing stays still in the computing world.