I did it ! And a Question

Chris - You wanted to know about our success’s. Well I just completed the 14-day Challenge and did the final Slot Machine program. I had to take a brief hiatus in the middle of the 14-days to move to a new MacBook with considerably better resources then my older one. The old one took MINUTES to bring up a simulator. This new one is much faster.

For the Slot machine code, I used it as an excuse to get familiar with arrays of string. I.e.:

var Slots = [“apple”, “cherry”, “star”]
…so I can do…
LeftSlot = Slots[Int.random(in: 0…2)]
MiddleSlot = Slots[Int.random(in: 0…2)]
RightSlot = Slots[Int.random(in: 0…2)]

Any way, now on to bigger and better.

One question, Xcode keeps asking if I want to install Rosetta to run Intel-Based apps; Is there a way to turn this warning off permanently?

Thanks for everything,
-PH

download the rosetta. You won’t get the warning again. It is important to run no arm base program on M1 MacBooks

I am so envious I can’t say!

I’m running Xcode on a Late-2014 Mac mini and there are times (like now) when I’m sitting here waiting dozens of minutes just for the simulator.

I keep having to pause Chris’ videos because he’s like “one click, there’s the simulation”. Not me. “one click, go make a cup of coffee, go out for a walk, come back, oh it still isn’t ready…”.

Some days it can be soooo frustrating!

So wish I could replace it with something more modern.

If you’re able, you can update to a refurbished M1 MacBook or even Mac mini M1

They might get a sale with the upcoming Apple event

Unfortunately, I can’t due to financial circumstances. (I’m quite lucky I’ve got what I have thanks to a friend getting rid of his old hardware a couple of years back. )

For now, I’m just thankful that Apple still allows Xcode to run on such an old machine - even if sometimes it’s quite a frustrating experience.

1 Like

Another question on the final lab: how would you have the slot machine images spin in real time for a second or two before landing on a final random image? I’m not sure it makes sense to re-paint the entire screen from inside the button methods. I guess we could have them spin ala Wordle too. I’m open to any sort of animation.
Thanks,
-PH

There is actually a course by mark moeykens on the cwc youtube channel about animating the slots app.

This might help you out

Cheers