Mandy's Stock Tracker App

Going for the badge for the May 2021 challenge…it’s the little things! Starting my app now.

1 Like

Wooo!! You got this!

1 Like

Here’s a screenshot of where I’m at so far!

As mentioned, the batch quote from Financial Modeling Prep is not available for free. After some searching, I decided to go with Alpha Vantage as they allow 500 requests per day to the former’s 250. (Although, I did briefly go back on my decision and wasted maybe 3 hours recoding to Finanical Modeling Prep only to decide that I my original plan was better. :woman_facepalming: )

Alpha Vantage only allows 5 API calls per minute, so my next step is to continue working on how to either prevent this from happening or communicate the error to the user.

In term’s of the challenge objectives, here is my status:
Basic Requirements: – COMPLETE

• Get stock data from an API – DONE
  • Display a list of stocks, with respective prices and changes in dollar amount. – DONE
  • Be able to edit the same list of stocks, and have the option to remove and add stocks by ticker symbol. – DONE

Bonus specifications:

• Save user changes to the list of stocks to persist through multiple app sessions

Further challenges:

• Create a local push notification for when a stock reaches a target price
  • Validate ticker symbols when adding stocks by checking for duplicates, empty fields, and if the symbol is valid after it’s added – DONE
2 Likes

I asked them to increase this limit for my api key and they did :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh good tip, thank you!

1 Like

Today’s update…almost done!

Progress:
I saw a great tip from @Wildsparrow that Alpha Vantage might increase my API request limit, but I did not ask yet. I did catch the error though (which comes back in a different JSON structure) and communicate it to the user. I then set a timer to let the user know when they can try to update/add again. (I should also disable the refresh button during this one minute time frame.)

In term’s of the challenge objectives, here is my status:

Bonus specifications: – COMPLETE

• Save user changes to the list of stocks to persist through multiple app sessions - DONE

Further challenges:

• Create a local push notification for when a stock reaches a target price – in work. The user has the ability to set target price and it is saved through multiple app sessions. Just need to actually display the notification to the user!
  • Validate ticker symbols when adding stocks by checking for duplicates, empty fields, and if the symbol is valid after it’s added – DONE
2 Likes

:white_check_mark: Completed! And video uploaded :slight_smile:

Bonus specifications: – COMPLETE
Further challenges: – COMPLETE

It was really difficult to figure out how to do a push notification while the App was open. And also, since the app doesn’t run in the background, the notifications are a bit silly. But, implemented anyhow and was a great learning exercise. Thank you, CWC team!

5 Likes

Hey nice work… The app design looks very smooth

1 Like

Great job Mandy! It looks amazing and thank you for posting it on your stories!

1 Like

please share the website from where you got the API key. Thanks

@riskjockeyy

You can see from her first post she used Alpha Advantage. And going to their website the first paragraph says claim your free API key.

1 Like