Not in Window Hierarchy

I’m trying to pick an array of images from the photos library to attach to a PDF file. I can attach text and images OK, for images in my Assets.xcassets. To get the image array, I used the WWDC2021 presentation on the new photo picker. Here’s the boilerplate from the presentation:

class ViewController: UIViewController {
    @IBOutlet weak var imageView: UIImageView!
    var itemProviders: [NSItemProvider] = []
    var iterator: IndexingIterator<[NSItemProvider]>?
    // MARK: Present Picker
    @IBAction func presentPicker(_ sender: Any) {
        var configuration = PHPickerConfiguration()
        configuration.filter = .images
        configuration.selectionLimit = 0
        let picker = PHPickerViewController(configuration: configuration)
        picker.delegate = self
        present(picker, animated: true)
    }
    func displayNextImage() {
        if let itemProvider = iterator?.next(), itemProvider.canLoadObject(ofClass: UIImage.self) {
            let previousImage = imageView.image
            itemProvider.loadObject(ofClass: UIImage.self) { [weak self] image, error in
                DispatchQueue.main.async {
                    guard let self = self, let image = image as? UIImage, self.imageView.image ==
                            previousImage else { return }
                    self.imageView.image = image
                }
            }
        }
    }
    override func touchesEnded(_ touches: Set<UITouch>, with event: UIEvent?) {
        displayNextImage()
    }
}
extension ViewController: PHPickerViewControllerDelegate {
    func picker(_ picker: PHPickerViewController, didFinishPicking results: [PHPickerResult]) {
        dismiss(animated: true)
        itemProviders = results.map(\.itemProvider)
        iterator = itemProviders.makeIterator()
        displayNextImage()
    }
}

I’m trying to call with button from ‘ReportView’, which includes:

@State var vc = ViewController()

The button code:

Button {
    vc.presentPicker(self)
    } label: {
      Image(systemName: "ladybug")
 }

When I press the button I get the following:

“Attempt to present <PHPickerViewController: 0x7fd5b3208070> on <SatLinks.ViewController: 0x7fd5b3380d80> (from <SatLinks.ViewController: 0x7fd5b3380d80>) whose view is not in the window hierarchy.”

I don’t have a storyboard and trying to avoid. Is there a missing connection of some type? plist problem? I suspect there is a simple solution, but couldn’t find one on line.

You’re approaching it in the wrong way. You need to look at how to integrate UIKit code into a SwiftUI project. It’s not as simple as just .present on a SwiftUI button click

OK. But I still want to avoid UIKit and storyboards. Is there somewhere I can get some actual SwiftUI code to do what I want? i.e. pick and retrieve an array of images from Photos?

From what I can find it’s not possible to choose images natively with only SwiftUI. You must use UIKit. This doesn’t mean storyboards is required, but UIKit is needed

Here’s a tutorial that may help