Register the name before you code!

Hey all,

I just finished up another app and sent it off to Apple last night. I learned, the hard way, that in the future when I come up with a name for an app, I need to register it first before I start the new project.

I did just the opposite with the app I sent off last night. I discovered the name was already taken. Ug. Lucky for me I use Tower to manage changes so my first attempt of changing the name which horribly corrupted days of work, could be tossed away and I started again.

I discovered all I need to do was change the Target Name in the Build Settings and that did the trick. At least I hope. All the files and hard-coded location strings in Xcode are still the old names, but it shows up on the phone with the new name. So will see what he Apple inspectors have to say!

Anyway, the lesson learned for me is register the name first! :slight_smile:

Blessings,
—Mark

4 Likes

Hi Mark,
Are there any step by step directions on how to register an app name that you may not actually deliver for app store review for several months?

That’s a good question. I will do some investigation on that question.
How long can we hold app identifier and name before we submit? Good question, let me check.

Although I did find that changing the same we submit now is really much easier now so I am not as as anxious about locking down a name as I was last light trying to change it!

Blessings,
—Mark

1 Like

You mean registering the name with Apple like through the bundle identifier or like with the iTunes Connect? (Is that what it’s called)
Like you’re not talking about registering it as a trademark?

Correct, I am talking about just through Apple. Once you pop in a name for your app when setting up it up through connect, Apple may inform you to choose another name as it is taken.

The legalities of Trademark infringement is a whole other kettle of fish! :slight_smile:
Blessings,
—Mark

Haha agree, so you can go through Apple to see if the name’s taken already or not?

Yep, you select a new app and give it a version number, then the Web site will ask for a name, among other details. When you try to save those section, if the name is already in use, you will get a error message to that effect.

One way to “prove” that you came up with a name is sent yourself a certified letter the the USPS and don’t open it. It will hav a date stamp when the letter is mailed, and you can use that as the date you came up with a name.

Of course, I have never tried to defend this in a legal action, but then I don’t sell anything, so I am not much of a target.

Blessings,
—Mark

1 Like

Hey Mark! Do you know anything about using a name in your app that’s trademarked?

I’m making a trivia app for the show NCIS. And I want to call it “NCIS Trivia” but am I able to because that title is trademarked?

Sorry I don’t.

I did register copyright once with some albums our band produced, but never a trademark. You might try the Library of Congress, I think that is where I got the basic info once upon a time.

Good luck.
Blessings,
—Mark

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile: