Swift String exprs

Hello, How can I calculate the exprs in the uploaded pic to get the output.
The idea is taking the operator to calculate the numbers before.

The expressions are what I refer to as RPN or Reverse Polish Notation.

In the first case it is 2 + 3 which is pretty straight forward so if you were using a swift playground you would code that as

let output = 2 + 3
print(output)

and you should see 5 printed in the console.

The second expression is pretty straight forward too.

Don’t forget the order in which math operations are done BEMDAS (Brackets, Exponential, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction)

Expresions 3 and 4 are tricky but if you are familiar with an RPN calculator you should be able to figure out how to write a swift expression to achieve the result.

If you can’t figure it out then let me know and I’ll provide you with a solution.

Thank you for your response. I tried to solve it, but my solution is not correct. The point is to write a function to deal with this kind of expressions. One function takes the expressions as a String input and return the solution as an Int.

Ah, now that puts a completely different light on the requirement compared to what you posted initially.

Yes! I’m sorry, it supposed to be explained more

This algorithm works nicely:

What you need to do is put the expression in an array. For example take the first one:

let expression1 = ["2", "3", "+"]

Paste the code from Github into your playground (or project).
Declare an instance of that class, ie:

let evaluate = EvaluateReversePolishNotation()

then call the function and assign the output to a variable like this:

let result = evaluate.evalRPN(expression1)

then print the result to the console:

print(result)

For the example above you should see 5 printed in the console.

1 Like

Fantastic, Thank you.

If you wanted to you could change all the Int references to Double in that class and it will work with floating point values.

1 Like