The Stock Tracker App Challenge!

Hey CodeCrew,

We’ve got a new community app challenge!

What is this?

Given the set of requirements below, challenge yourself to build the app!

The exercise of thinking for yourself and coming up with your own solution is a valuable learning opportunity.

How do I participate?

Simply create your own topic in the Journal section of our forum and update it with your progress as you build your app. If you already have your own Journal thread, you can continue using that.

When your app is completed, record a video to show it in action (We’ll combine the videos together to make a showcase reel) and then upload it here:

What are the dates?

The challenge will run from May 1 to June 1.

What do I win?

Just by participating, you’ll learn a lot and earn a nifty new forum badge:

Stock Tracker App Badge

At the end of the challenge, we’ll make our code available (in case you want to compare solutions) and I also want to make a video reel of all your creations!

What if I’m a beginner?

This challenge is meant for students who have already learned the basics since it’s going to require you to draw on prior experience.

If you’re just starting out, I recommend that you check out these resources instead to get up to speed and then you can participate in next month’s app challenge.

Can I do the challenge after the deadline?

Even though this challenge runs from May 1 to June 1, it’ll always be available for you to attempt and earn the badge in the future.

However, if you’re ready to participate now, you’ll get to experience it with a whole group of people also attempting it at the same time!

What are the app requirements?

This challenge asks you to build a Stock Tracking app to get the current price of an editable list of stocks. The goal of creating the Stock Tracking app is to be comfortable with getting and displaying data from an API, and also modifying what data is obtained.

Basic Requirements:

• Get stock data from an API
    (Our solution uses: Company stocks batch request Free API- FinancialModelingPrep )
    (Note: It looks like they don’t have batch quotes as a free feature anymore. You can try to find another API which offers free batch quotes or for the purpose of this challenge, you can try to fetch the quotes one by one via this API)

• Display a list of stocks, with respective prices and changes in dollar amount.

• Be able to edit the same list of stocks, and have the option to remove and add stocks by ticker symbol.

Bonus specifications:

• Save user changes to the list of stocks to persist through multiple app sessions

Further challenges:

• Create a local push notification for when a stock reaches a target price

• Validate ticker symbols when adding stocks by checking for duplicates, empty fields, and if the symbol is valid after it’s added

A preview of our solution:

• Video
  • We’ll post the code to own solution on June 1!
6 Likes

Here’s a preview of our solution project!

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for this new challenge. Can i do it with Swift language ?
Thanks !

1 Like

Yes! Absolutely!

1 Like

Hello CodeCrew,

The community challenge end date has passed and we’re now awarding the “Mr. Market” badge to everyone who participated in this challenge!

Simply fill out this form to make a request for your forum badge:

Remember, although the challenge has ended, you can attempt this app challenge at ANY time and still earn the badge by using the form above.

The deadline was set as a target to strive for and also for gathering videos of your apps to create a showcase reel which we’re starting to work on now!

As for our app solution, you can check it out here:

(There IS a possibility that the API has changed since we built this. If that’s the case, just let us know or better yet, post your own project code in this thread for everyone to learn from!)

The next community app challenge will start on July 1st!

2 Likes

Awesome, just received the badge :slight_smile:

Small remark: Text should state the stock app, not the weather app challenge :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve fixed that now :slight_smile:
And thanks for participating in the app challenge!

2 Likes

the solution you provided is mostly different than you thought us. It’s really hard for a person who is not from a coding background. Please try to give us the solution accordingly. there are multiple places where I could not understand your code. Please provide in a way so that we can understand

this is the link of my project [https://we.tl/t-mfyduCshXE ] (https://we.tl/t-mfyduCshXE )

@riskjockeyy

John,

Hold up man. There are many ways to solve this challenge. The way than Chris Ching has solved it is just one way. The way that others have solved it is different. That does not mean that any particular solution is right or wrong. It’s just different.

3 Likes