Two best friends starting a business

Hi everyone!

@florentp and I are a duo of two best friends who, in the early days of summer this year, had an app idea.

Immediately, we decided to stray away from our individual career paths to pursue this business idea together instead. We initially thought about finding a CTO cofounder to build it, but when we found CodeWithChris’s YouTube channel, we decided to learn to code it ourselves. We invested in a yearly subscription to CWC+, and now, as we’ve already made a lot of progress, we thought it was high time we introduced ourselves :slightly_smiling_face:

First, a bit of our… “Coding Background”: so here’s a photo of Flo in late June, discovering the concept of an “if statement” for the very first time in his life and carefully taking notes on Notion. As for me I did some VBA in previous jobs but hated the language and some Python at business school for a machine learning course which I utterly failed… so anyways, while I had some experience, I was still no developer either.

We grinded through the Foundations (SwiftUI) course, and we absolutely loved it. We’d sometimes spend an entire night on just one challenge, but completing them reaaally helped us build muscle memory. “Never learn anything by heart”, as Chris often repeats it, just keep coding, keep reverting to previous work, and things will start to stick naturally. (Except JSON Parsing - That will forever suck :crazy_face:)

Despite both being beginners, we clearly have complementary abilities.
Personally, I get excited about visualizing Data Flow, modeling data in FireStore and researching source codes of cool MVVM examples. My original background is in finance, so it makes sense that on the developer spectrum I feel more attracted to back-end. On the other hand, Flo is definitely the front-end star of the duo. Copywriter for a living, with a secret passion for artistic direction and UI design. He used to prototype on Adobe XD, but now that he knows SwiftUI, he prefers to design views as he codes.

We work really well together. We met at 17 yo by starting a band. Fun times. Now a decade later, we’re trading the stage for the App Store.

Since completing iOS Foundations in late July, Flo has been working on the views for our app while I dove into back-end. I completed the Databases course, set up the Firebase SDKs for our MVP’s basic features (but I’m waiting for the social photo app SwiftUI course to add pictures haha). We’ve also been expanding our knowledge with new sources: Kavsoft’s YouTube channel has been a treasure for Flo, and lately I’ve had my eye on Fireship’s Cloud Functions course in JavaScript.

In the beginning, trying out CWC came from a « what-if » mentality: what if we could make a simple MVP ourselves? But now, we’re confident that we can make the app of our dreams, that we can learn anything, and so we DEFINITELY don’t need a CTO.

Once we’re all set with trademark and incorporation, we’ll post a few previews here before launch. We are super excited to become a part of the CWC community and for everything that’s to come!

Raph & Flo

21 Likes

Congrats Raph & Flo!! That’s an awesome story!
We’re excited to see what you make!

1 Like

Thanks for the support Mikaela!! :smiley: I’m so excited to show the community what we’re building. I’ll give updates here as soon as we feel ready

3 Likes

Hey Ralph and Flo, reading your journey really warms my heart! Thank you so much for sharing your story.

It’s extremely encouraging to hear that our team can make a difference.

Like Mikaela, I can’t wait to see what you guys come up with and I’ll keep an eye out for your topic suggestions on our ideas board!

If you’re ever stuck on something or need guidance, don’t hesitate to reach out and we’ll try to point you to the right resources!

4 Likes

This is amazing!!! Definitely an inspiration and I hope to be able to catch up to you guys soon!

I hope you guys post your app and everything for us to test it out after you set up all the official stuff! Would love to test it out!

2 Likes

Hey Chris, can’t believe you replied!! We’re really touched

The CWC team is absolutely making a difference, it’s truly an empowering journey.

I’ll be sure to make suggestions on the ideas board and to ask for some well-needed guidance, but in the mean time I’m reaaaaaally looking forward to the chat and photo app SwiftUI courses :grin:

2 Likes

Botaybry I’m so glad you were inspired from our story!

And you can be sure we’ll be posting a Testflight link here down the road :wink: We’d be grateful to get your feedback!

2 Likes

Wow what a great story! Congrats on starting iOS. I’m looking forward to what the two of you create.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

We are still alive and going strong!

Last time we wrote we were in our hometown in France, both staying at Flo’s parents’. I was looking for an internship to validate my finance degree and Flo was working for an advertising agency.

We started this project like two optimistic kids who planned to leave everything behind and ship to the App Store by February 2022. How cute :sweat_smile:

But as we were building and learning, we had countless setbacks along the way - front-end and back-end. Sometimes, it would feel like climbing an endless mountain of which we never see the top. The climb would feel arduous and discouraging. Some annoying bugs were left unsolved for MONTHS!

But we persevered, believing that future Raph & Flo would figure it out, as long as present Raph & Flo kept making progress. Eventually we (almost :roll_eyes:) ALWAYS have a breakthrough, rewarding us with intense feelings of euphoria and pride.

So outside our respective jobs, we were coding and learning every chance we had : in the morning, in-between meetings, every night and on the weekend.

Since then, we’ve realized bringing our app idea to life requires more time.

So now that my internship is over, Flo quit his job and we both focus on building non-stop.

We’ve moved to Bali in search of optimal coding conditions and cheap living expenses (we live on the last of our savings).

It’s been almost 3 months now, working all day everyday and we’ve made INSANE progress.

Today, we see the top of the mountain and we’re cautiously optimistic about shipping to beta this fall.
It’s been a long time coming, and I cannot wait to drop our trailer and leave a TestFlight link here before the public beta launch. We are so excited to show you all what we’ve made and hear your feedback!

We are ALL IN on this project.

Believe me we are nervous and scared, but at the same time we’re having so much fun that it doesn’t matter whether we succeed or fail. This is our life now.

Raph & Flo

9 Likes

Wow!!! Good luck!! Can’t wait to see the app!

1 Like

Congratulations! I know you guys will have plenty of success on your journey. Teamwork is dreamwork. Looking forward to you guys journey updates!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your support @mikaelacaron and @CleoWill!! Really appreciate it :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome job Cal!

1 Like

Thanks for this story it’s really inspiring.

1 Like

Wishing you guys the best of luck with your small company and app development. Just don’t get discouraged. CWC community is cheering for your success! :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you so much you all!! We ran into issues, then life happened, and anyway we decided to work on a new, more simple app idea. Still hard at work but we’re seeing the finish line. Will be posting here again soon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick post on my Journal because I kinda need to vent and I see I’m not the only one who feels that way lately, but damn - this is hard.

Today, I was so desperately stuck on a problem that as I kept pushing through it made me feel angry, almost a little sad…

…but I. MADE. IT. WORK!!!

I don’t know if it was just because I was tired, but the rush of dopamine I felt when it worked literally brought tears in my eyes, and it made it all feel worth it. I’m in love with this feeling, I love to code, I literally couldn’t imagine my life without this now.

Anyway, to everyone who’s struggling here, if you’re reading this, just know you’re not alone.

P.S.: we’re reaaaaaally close to showing you guys what we’re working on, sorry it’s taking so long, I’m really dying to put it out there as soon as we can

3 Likes

What was the issue? And what was the solution?

If you want to say, or say generally

One of the features required to set up a cloud function to automatically fetch some HTML data on a specific schedule and write it to Firestore. Afterwards when the app fetches the data, it has to format the html before displaying it. I learnt a ton but I ran into issues pretty much every step of the way haha.

1 Like

I’m really curious what you’ve been up to! I love to program too, I just lack the creativity of knowing what, I want to build lol… And when I have an idea, It’s like, how do I make this look aesthetically pleasing. (My #1 weakness) haha

1 Like