Vlad's Daily journal

My goal to learn may be different than most. I just need to be an average coder.

So far I’m on Day 14 and I’ve been here for close to 2 weeks now since I’ve refused to look at Chris’ solution - i’m still learning new things daily though and learning 30 minutes a day sometimes an hour (it can get addictive!)

I’ll be posting updates at the end of each day.

1 Like

New Day…I’m stuck on the array exercise…gonna try it for 1 more hour otherwise I’m gonna create 3 mini exercises around the solution and move on.

A programmer friend of mind said you shouldn’t get stuck for more than 15 minutes when first learning how to code, do you agree?

It’s not the end of the world when you can’t figure something out. It’s also OK to look at the solution. Often the solution is perhaps simple and one thing for sure is that you will remember what was done.

People learn in different ways. Some can learn from theoretical information and others are visual learners.

Don’t feel bad that you have somehow failed. We all have struggled from time to time. Some concepts are often a puzzle but at some point there will be that “light-bulb” moment when you say, “Now I get it”.

2 Likes

You’re doing it right! I remember being stuck often, but I disagree with the 15min rule, if you want to persevere longer go for it.

It’s also okay to “give up” and look at the solution. And once you got it, close the solution, and try to complete the challenge again on your own. That’s what I did, I struggled PLENTY (I remember being stuck for hours on M2L2) but that’s the best way to learn in my opinion. Keep it up!

1 Like

Never give up, never surrender! haha

Actually, while I agree completely with Chris’ comment, that it’s okay to look at the solution after you tried, I also push myself not too, and sometimes will take 3-days to think about things and gain a new perspective. Sometimes re-watching a video will make it click as you may have missed something the first time through not realizing how important a small detail was to the project!

1 Like

Thank you~ I failed in my consistency. Gonna go back to aiming for 4 minutes a day - at least 2 when I first wake up and at least 2 before I go to bed.

Day 3 of logging consistently (had to restart). I’ve forgot quite a bit and lost momentum.
Luckily I’ve been coding on and off for a while now so I sill remember some basics.
Currently on MVVM and challenge. There’s still things like the “IBOOutlet” that don’t fully understand, are they distracting me?

Regardless I plan to rewatch the full video tomorrow and work backwards to see what I’m missing…this challenge doesn’t seem simple either, but I don’t wanna cheat and go past it. Feel unprepared for the final product, hopefully I’m gonna get on track soon.

Day 4 - DID not watch the whole video :cry: I’m gonna schedule it in for tomorrow. I’m gonna watch it and take notes - I’ve looked at 2 minutes again telling myself every bit counts

Day 5 - exhausted from business, but managed to watch 2 more minutes. I’m starting to fail. My biggest problem I see now is lack of focus - this is impeding me in both my personal business and learning things such as here. Focus is everything. I’m gonna create a 30 minute daily slot.

Day 6 - doing cold calls and learning to code and running a business…no excuses I gotta do it. I feel I’ve fallen behind and am gonna take a few steps back to refresh where I was. I also am gonna take notes during the videos and slow them down: Your Coding Tips For Beginners - YouTube - great video.

Failing here hmmm I think I’m just gonna focus on waking up earlier this week. If I do that I’ll have time and I can code first thing in the morning.

Woke up earlier, but messed up my sleep schedule. Still it’s the weekend and I have a new trick I think may work. I bought a timer and click it on to see how much time I can spend working. Doing it for coding now :slight_smile: hopefully I’ll get past the MVVM challenge - need to refresh myself on my past learnings as well and move forward.

I’m gonna re-read “Learning how to learn” and Ultra Learning by Scott Young

forced myself to watch the MVVM for 6 minutes - I’ll try tomorrow if it doesn’t work I’ll copy the code the next day

Got 16 minutes in. I’m gonna try the challenge tomorrow after finishing the vid if it doesn’t work I’ll look at notes.