XCode 12.4 & a couple general questions

So, I’ve been working through the tutorials, making mistakes and learning as I go.

I have a few general questions:

Are you using the latest Xcode release? (I had been having problems with 12.4 freezing multiple times)
(I did find a solution to the freezing)

As we code and build apps, do you remove the code or just comment it out, that allows you to debug (i.e. print statements ) prior to submitting an App to the App Store?

I was testing my app on my personal iPhone (7+) and iPad (6th gen), which both now have the latest iOS (14.6). Xcode 12.4 only goes to iOS 14.4. Is there a way to go back to 14.4 on my phone/iPad?

Thank you!!

Bob Lawson

Hi Bob,

I’m pretty sure that Chris Ching uses the latest version of Xcode, though at the time that a particular video lesson was recorded, the version used could have been an easier version. That’s just the nature of content creation in the iOS Development world.

The recommendation is to always use the latest version. That will be the requirement when you submit an App to the App store anyway.

I would suggest that you remove commented out code before submitting your App just so that it is clean and tidy. Do Apple review staff read submitted source code? I have no idea. My guess is that they don’t have time to do that.

iOS versions are backward compatible so 14.6 will run code created in Xcode targeted to 14.4

Hope that helps.

You can leave your comments in the code. They are ignored by the compiler and are not part of the built app that you submit to Apple.

Nope. (Well, maybe with jailbreaking; I dunno.)

They don’t see your source code at all, only the compiled binaries. I believe they do have some tools that can scan your binaries to look for calls to private APIs, but that doesn’t check your actual code, just the symbol table.

Cheers for that clarification.

I grabbed some working Open Source code from GitHUB and saw a lot of debugging code in the source.

Back in my day (computer years are shorter than dog years :wink: ), we put in a lot of debugging code with hidden triggers or with it commented out. This is a long term standard practice.