On behalf of the CodeWithChris team, I’d like to announce that after more than a year of hiatus, we’re bringing back the Community App Challenge!
We figured that we’d do things differently this time around to make it more engaging for all of our community members. And one of the major changes we’ve implemented is that the challenge will consist of 3 different levels to cater to beginner, intermediate, and advanced coders.
That said, this month’s App Challenge will be about a Car Listing app. It’s pretty straightforward, and you can find more details about the requirements below.
We also built a simple prototype of how we imagined the app would look like, but feel free to explore a different design if you want to!
Here’s a preview of that prototype: Car Listing App Challenge - YouTube Demo
What are the app requirements?
- Develop a working mobile app
- Use a git repo and share it as we want to see your commits
- You can use our prototype as a reference, but feel free to explore and experiment to have a different look and feel for the UI
- The Challenge will comprised of 3 levels: Level 1 (Beginner), Level 2 for (Intermediate), Level 3 (Advanced)
- Please accomplish as many levels as you are comfortable with. You should only proceed to the next level if the current level has already been completely implemented.
- Do not show any part of the UI if it’s not working. Let’s focus on quality over quantity!
Level 1 Requirements:
- Show a simple list of collapsed items or cards
- Extract the list information from the join JSON file, or you can come up with your own assets
- Show a collapsed list that consists of the following:
- Car Image
- Level 1 Reward: Gold Badge
Level 2 Requirements
- Add or implement the expandable card to the list
- By default, the first item should be expanded
- Upon clicking or tapping an item, the previous item will collapse, and the new item will expand.
- Pros and cons sections should be shown.
- Note that there is no limit to the number of bullet points inside the card so these should be added and scaled dynamically.
- Level 2 Reward: Platinum Badge
Level 3 Requirements
- Implement the filters
- Add a filter section in the UI, such as:
- Vehicle make
- Vehicle model
- You can create the two filters list from the JSON provided or come up with your own
- Show the result in the dropdown
- The UI should be updated accordingly upon selecting a specific filter/s
- Level 3 Reward: Diamond Badge
What is this?
Given the set of requirements below, challenge yourself to build the app!
The exercise of thinking for yourself and coming up with your own solution is a valuable learning opportunity.
How do I participate?
Simply create your own topic in the Journal section of our forum and update it with your progress as you build your app. If you already have your own Journal thread, you can continue using that.
When your app is completed, record a video to show it in action. You can record a video directly from your iOS simulator by pressing CMD+R.
We’ll combine the videos together to make a showcase reel. Upload your video here.
The challenge will run from August 5 to September 30, 2022.
What do I win?
By participating in this challenge, you’ll earn yourself a badge which you can collect as you participate in other challenges. More than that, you’ll learn a valuable experience as you solve problems and meet requirements stated in this challenge. However, do note that you can only earn 1 badge per challenge. So if you accomplished Level 3, you will only earn the badge for that level, which is the Diamond badge.
Here’s a preview of three badges for this challenge.
At the end of the challenge, we’ll make our code available (in case you want to compare solutions) and I also want to make a video reel of all your creations!
What if I’m a beginner?
Don’t worry! This challenge is meant for anyone with beginner, intermediate, and advanced knowledge in SwiftUI programming. As long as you’ve learned the basics, we believe that you can accomplish the challenge and earn yourself a Gold badge!
If you’re still just starting out, I recommend that you check out these resources below instead to get up to speed.
If you have access to CWC+, completing the Foundations Course will be more than enough.
If anyone has other helpful resources, reply on this topic!
What if I’m facing challenges?
We’ve all been there! Just make sure that you update your Journal entry on the Forum with the problems you’re facing, and our moderators and support team will be there to help you out.
Can I do the challenge after the deadline?
Yes! It’ll always be available for you to attempt and earn the badge in the future.
However, if you’re ready to participate now, you’ll get to experience it with a whole group of people also attempting it at the same time!
The following resources may be helpful in your development: